BAGUIO CITY, Philippines – The municipal government of San Manuel in Isabela has added ₱100,000 to the reward money for information leading to the arrest of those behind the killing of former beauty queen and public school teacher Lulette Jane Ramilo-dela Cruz, intensifying efforts to solve the high-profile murder case that shocked the province earlier this year.
Mayor Faustino Dy IV said the additional reward aims to encourage witnesses and informants to cooperate with authorities as investigators continue to pursue both the gunman and possible masterminds behind the attack.
The municipal government’s contribution raises the total reward money to ₱250,000, following the earlier ₱50,000 reward pledged by Dy and the ₱100,000 reward offered by the provincial government of Isabela.
Dela Cruz, also referred to in some reports as Lulette Jane Ramilo-de Guzman, was the first runner-up in the 2013 edition of Miss Philippines Earth 2013 and a former Miss San Manuel. She was also a public school teacher in Isabela and a graduate of University of Perpetual Help System Isabela with a degree in secondary education.
Police said the 33-year-old educator was killed on February 13, in Barangay Cabaritan, San Manuel.
Investigators said Dela Cruz was inside her sports utility vehicle with her three children when a motorcycle-riding gunman arrived outside their home and opened fire. The victim sustained gunshot wounds to the face and body and was rushed to Manuel Roxas District Hospital in Roxas town, where she was declared dead.
Her children were unharmed but witnessed the shooting, leaving them deeply traumatized, according to relatives and local officials.
The killing sparked fear among residents and students in the community where Dela Cruz taught.
The Philippine National Police in Isabela immediately formed a Special Investigation Task Group composed of local police, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, and other support units to handle the case.
Authorities launched a manhunt for the motorcycle-riding suspect, who reportedly fled eastward along the national highway after the shooting.
By March, police said a murder complaint had been filed against at least one suspect. Authorities, however, stressed that the investigation was still ongoing as they continue to determine whether other individuals were involved and whether a mastermind ordered the killing.
Police officials said investigators are still examining possible motives, including personal and work-related angles. Authorities have also reviewed CCTV footage, digital records, and statements from acquaintances and neighbors.
Officials urged the public to cooperate with investigators and report any information that could help resolve the case. – Rappler.com
